Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Post from June 22nd

You've probably already seen this one...
Accidentally deleted.  Now back.

June 21st was a great day.  Odd, but great.  I told myself that if I got a break, I'd write about it.  Well, I didn't get one yet, so I'm cutting an pasting from a letter I wrote to B && L about it.  Tacky, I know, but it was such a great day...

Celia and I went with Central Library Deputy Library to his hometown and then to a rural library where he and I were invited to inaugurate the new Tagore Reading Room.  I was to prepare a speech, wear white, and bring a camera.

We saw the sights of a small city between here and Kolkata, ate a great meal and were treated like VIPs throughout.  The city we visited is called Kolna.  It has all the sites of a typical small Indian city plus an amazing amount of history.  My favorite site: the most beautiful temple.  I would happily have stayed there all day (though my feet would have been less so as walking barefoot on the too-well-sun-heated grounds was tough).

In Kolna, we met my colleague's family, the newly-elected Chairman (mayor equivalent?), and many other citizens.

The Library 'inauguration' was very strange.  C said my speech wasn't  very good, which I expected since there was great commotion while I was at the microphone and I kept losing my focus.  On the other hand, the man who read the translation (which was only vaguely what I had written - more on that at another time) was a very dramatic reader and seemed to have everyone's attention.

After the program, they presented me with a photograph of Tagore and many thanks.  Then, to my surprise, we left before the program was over.  Good thing, since we had a very long drive, but it seemed rude.  Even so, while I was trying to figure out what I was supposed to do, I failed to notice the program being interrupted to give us a standing ovation and the audience, dignitaries, etc. waved to us, wide eyed, as we left, crossing the front of the stage in what, again, seemed to me very poor manners.  (I kept looking over my shoulder to see if some prince was behind us causing all the commotion.  But no, it was just us.)  Then, to make things even more rock-star like, a huge crowd followed us to our car and once I shook one man's hand at least 30 others crowded in to shake my hand as well.

Once in the vehicle (a big SUV) one man I'd met earlier asked for a business card (very popular here) so I fished one out.  Immediately, several others I'd met during the day crowded windows on both sides asking for them.  (Everyone I gave a card to seemed unusually pleased with it.  Fortunately, I'd brought a pile, knowing I would be introduced around.)  After I'd given cards to the men I recognized, all windows became filled with new faces asking for cards, shaking hands and showing such appreciation you'd think I was passing out cash.  The car was swarmed by well-wishers and card seekers, so I finally gave one of the men the whole pile to pass out later.  Made his day.  Who do they think I am?!

Celia's reception was equally adoring, but more individual.  Again (this has happened before), a lovely grandmother (really great grandmother) offered for Celia to live with her because C is so beautiful, an angel, a princess.  This one also offered to go back home with her to take care of her.  I suggested that I would stay on the farm with her daughter (grandmother) in exchange.  Everyone laughed, then hugged us and acted as if we'd both broken their hearts by not staying longer and blessed them just by being there.  When we said we planned to return with the whole family in August, clasped hands jumped to hearts as if we'd awarded a great prize.

Though the intense, and undeserved, admiration/affection makes me a bit uncomfortable, I found that I felt an unreasonable level of affection for many of the people (generally women) I barely know.  This has happened to me before here, that I feel very close to someone I've only just met.  I suppose some of it is simply a reaction to Indian warmth and hospitality, and may be even more so as we are often treated as special guests.  Sometimes these women remind me of Bea or Jane or Grandma, or any of the group of women who have been so important - and so thoroughly supportive - throughout my life.   I can't explain it.  Not looks and definitely not conversation since the language problem is major.  Just warmth, humor, I don't know... 

Maybe I'm a little homesick?

No comments: