Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Inefficient, ripped off, frustrated, over heated... and contentedly eating lots of bananas

Note: Was unable to post/send this for a day and a half due to - you guessed - problems with electricity and internet.  So, a little update: We finished the move and are happily sweating in our own little home.

It is such a joy to see your comments and to receive email. Many, many thanks!

Last night was the one-month anniversary of our arrival in India.  I'm one month in and can report that I have done absolutely nothing on my project.  I'm getting really anxious about it, but we have to finish moving first, then maybe... 

I sincerely hope to have all our stuff at our rooms by tonight.  It is only a short walk between places, but the heat makes it rough.  Caring even just a bag or two each trip is work.  For those who saw us leave, you know we don't really have all that much stuff.  True enough.  We've acquired a bit more, but only a bit.  To keep from completely falling apart, my moving strategy involves +/-2 tote bags per trip.  If C does one or two trips with me tonight, we should be able to get everything there between 5:30 (when the heat is less) and 7:00 when it's nearly dark and the mosquitoes become violent.

Wish us luck!

I feel particularly eager about getting out of here because I'm quite annoyed with the situation here.  I was told today that I owe an additional $200 above the outrageous price I was already paying.  I'm trying not to get too upset about it.  But between feeling ripped off and helpless to do anything, hostility seems a comfortable emotion.

It doesn't help my frustration that I spent all morning visiting every bike 'shop' in the area (more than 20) and only one will sell me a bike. None will rent and the one who will sell want's about twice what a new, but junky, bike would cost in the US.

But don't think my whining means things are bad here.  They're not.  I'm frustrated that I haven't gotten the project moving, disappointed about the bike and angry about the money, but I'm also quite pleased and content, in general.

Why?
  • Celia (finally) began her art classes and had rave reviews about her fist session.  She is frustrated that she has to struggle with her 'homework' drawings, but that's part of the process, no?  And she's eager to go back for another.
  • We will be in our own rooms very soon.
  • And they are really nice.  They are already cooler - though no AC, unfortunately - because they are on the ground floor, where here we are upstairs.  After days of hassles and lots of help, we now have
    1. gas for the cooking burner,
    2. the battery inverter for our fan during power outages (so long as they don't last too long),
    3. sheets, 2 pillows, 2 towels,
    4. a water filter,
    5. some cooking and eating stuff (but no food, yet), and
    6. though we though it impossible, a fridge.  It's a pretty gross one and I'm paying dearly to rent it, but... cold water!!!
  • N & S spent a few days w/ Steve in NYC visiting Bea & Lloyd.  Sounds like they had a fine time (no surprise :-) and that makes me very happy.
  • Jane's surgery is done.  Of course, she has a long recovery now, but I'm much revealed that it went well.  Distance makes for some pretty powerful worrying.
  • C & I each have some additional clothing now.  We left with very little because my equipment alone put us over the luggage limit.  We both enjoy wearing the Indian outfits, not just because they look better, but also because they help with the heat a little.  They don't stop people from staring at us, though.

Finally, I suppose I can't file this under good news, but I thought I'd share it anyway.  Today, while on my long and futile cycle hunt, it finally happened.  I knew it would.  C and I joked about it.  But today it became reality.

Two boys bicycling, turned to stare at me as they went by.  So many people do every day.  These two collided, an expected result of looking backward over one's shoulder in transit.  I'm amazed it doesn't happen more often.  Fortunately, they were going slowly and didn't hit anyone else in the process.  They seemed unhurt, brushed off, laughed and biked away.  One, still transfixed,  continued to stare back at me as he left.  I'm just guessing here, but I don't think it's my striking good looks.

1 comment:

Steve Ford said...

Margaret, when I first saw you, I felt like I fell off my bike - and it WAS your good looks. Still works, too.

That is so strange about the bikes! Why is it so hard? Is there a scarcity of bikes?