Sunday, March 21, 2010

Accomplishments!

Since my last post, I have accomplished a few of the 'goals' I spoke of previously.  This evening I' have decided to focus on accomplishments and pleasures rather than failures and frustrations.  Of course there have been plenty of the latter.  Pleanty.

Accomplishments:
  • I figured out how to get warm water from the tank to the tap.
  • I (really someone else) got my laptop to work with the University's internet (once).
  • I did not get lost on the way back from the University this afternoon. (No comment on the way there.)
  • Though my 'facilitator' took me to a book shop that didn't have one, I - on my own - found another and they had a child's first Benali script book.
  • I bought a bunch of bananas.
  • I figured out how to light the mosquito coil when the power went out last night and I didn't burn anything or anyone.  (And for you public health folks, I thought long and hard about the pros and cons of using this thing indoors and decided, with plenty of ventilation, the risk was worth the benefit. These mosquitos are mean.)
Non-accomplishments that I'd like to share:
  • Yesterday six rather large monkeys ran in front of me, one at a time, and lined up on the wall beside where I was walking.  Eventually I stoped and let the parade continue, not knowing the protocol to avoid a Margaret-monkey colision.  The last one stopped in front of me, turned his head to examine me, then lept onto the wall.
  • I found the main commerce district.  It's busy and rather overwhelming.  Though many people stared at me, no one bothered me.  This is so not Delhi.  On the other hand, I got the feeling things cost me a little more than they should.  Just a little, though.
  • We are eating so well.  Manju, the caretaker's wife, who cooks for us, is very talented.  We both thoroughly enjoy our meals. 
  • We are far enough from the Kala Bhavan, the school where I am afiliated, that I'm getting plenty of walking. Much more than in Highland Park.  If I find that I am going back and forth too often, I may need to get a bicycle just to save time.
Uh oh.  Power has gone again.  I will send this later and add more as time allows.  For now, off to relax w/ C.

6 comments:

Becky Ford said...

Yay! Excellent progress. If I remember correctly, Santiniketan is very ideal for bicycles. It would probably be a really fun investment

B

Steve Ford said...

I want to join the monkey parade!

So I'm a little confused - do you have Internet in your house now? Or were you just typing the stuff in and blogged it later?

Steve Ford said...

Oh, I meant to ask. When you say it is "so not Dehli", did you mean that people don't bother you (but do in Dehli)? Or that they stare (and they don't in Dehli)?

Betsy said...

Wonderful accomplishments and stories. And we have a little accomplishment here -- Health Care Reform has passed!

Mags said...

Heh, Becky got there before me. Yes, a little accomplishment of our own. Hot damn.

Mags said...

Ooops, Betsy, my mistake. Hi Bets!