Friday, March 5, 2010

Blogging on India time

Even if we aren't adjusted yet, we've switched the blog times to India Standard Time. I'm not sure what that means to anyone reading back home, but it seemed a good idea from here.

C & I are thinking a lot about time today.

We're a off schedule due to the travel and losing 10.5 hours. Sleep is irregular for so many reasons. Plus, I'm never much good at keeping track of time zones, often forgetting who is earlier and who is later even with only an hour or two difference. To practice, we keep discussing what time it is in different places of interest. (e.g., Chicago, New York, London - where Steve will be next week.)

As if a curious omen reminding me to stay 'in the moment', my watch stopped working within minutes of the plain taking off. I like to think it was a message, not simply an inconvenience. This afternoon, I appeased a man desperately trying to get me to visit shops he recommended, by permitting him to walk us to his watch repair stall. There I got a new battery, Rs 60 (Becky, forgive me if it's too much as I haven't the confidence or energy to argue), and now (so long as the battery lasts) we have time.

Last night I wrote about the troubling feelins I had seening all the construction around Connaught Place. Today, I feel more positive. While some is still from the bombings, much of it is improvements as the city readies itself for increased tourism. For example, there is a great deal being done in the area to even surfaces of the streets and sidwaks. This has mothing to do with the 2008 damage, it's just improvement.

Best of all, we found the milk place. Unfortunately, I forgot to write down the name (Kev....?). Happily, it is the same one that Becky took us to when we were here with her a year-and-a-half ago. I had told C about it and promissed that, if it was still there, I would take her. Unknowing then how convenient it would be to our hotel. We each had a cold milshake (hers, cholocate, coffee for me) and it was just as good as I remembered.

Right now we are using the computer lab at the USIEF/Fulbright offices. I am scheduled for meetings in 20 minutes. C is bored because I had us come here early. I didn't know quite what to do as I wanted to meet some of the people with whom I have corresponded the past months. With meetings starting so late, I feared I would miss everyone afterword. Since tomorrow is Saturday and we leave on Sunday, I though it my only opportunity. (Sorry, C. But it's probably not the last time we'll have to entertain ourselves. And next time, there may not be a computer...)

Finally, to all of you who have writtin, left comments, notes, etc. We can't thank you enough. We are just fine, but feeling the distance in a strong way. We're thinking of you. Thanks for letting us know that you are thinking of us.

1 comment:

Steve Ford said...

I remember that milk place! For some reason I didn't partake last time.

I do remember us getting very slightly lost on our way back; not actually lost, just thinking that a certain road would go through a certain area, but having to take a longer-way around instead. IIRC, we walked through an area that, during the day, would be a busy market, but in the evening just had a few families strolling through. I remember thinking about the contrast between India's crowds and solitude. The same sort of thing one could experience in any large city, but seemed amplified in India.

I miss you, and I miss India too.