Monday, March 8, 2010

Life at the Palace

Rockwood Palace Hotel, Udaipur

We traveled Sunday from Delhi to Udaipur via Jodhpur. Non-stop meetings since then.

But first, a not-so-quick stop at Fulbright House to drop our bags so as not to lug them along.

Though a little frustrating because we had a flight and an impatient taxi driver, the guards at Fulbright were attentive and very careful with security of our things. Bureaucracy dictated a great deal of back and forth, phone calls and messages, men with clipboards, signatures and approvals. As I said, a little frustrating. On the other hand, I'm quite confident that, if my equipment isn't safe, it's not for lack of trying.

In a long, but not very interesting story, we've changed plans again (!) and will, after all, return to Delhi for a night before heading to Kolkata. This plan is quite a bit better than the luggage-in-Delhi version proposed before we came. In that one, we'd have taken four flights, with a nine-hour delay to get the bags, in one day. Now, we will fly back on Thursday, pick up the bags, stay the night at a hotel, fly to Kolkata the next morning, spend Friday night and Saturday there, then travel to Shantiniketan on Sunday. (Exhausting just to type it all.)

But now I have nothing at all to whine about.

We are in Udaipur attending the Fulbright conference. I am so fortunate to have arrived immediately before this event. I wish I'd had the regular orientation that most of the others enjoyed, but this is so much better than any plain ol' orientation. Everyone else is experienced in India and has completed all or part of their fellowships. Plus Fulbright coordinators from all over Southeast Asia, former Fulbrighters to the US and a representative from the US Embassy are here to share experiences, findings, ideas, etc. Me, I just have to take it all in. I feel greedy as I drink it all in and give nothing back but enthusiastic thanks. What's more, I'm meeting so many people who are not only interesting, but have all kinds of advice for me to help me get going. Some have even offered to assist me in networking and logistics. Man, am I ever lucky, or what?!

On top of the project related benefits, the people here are warm, interesting and fun to be with. I only remember one other time when I found myself in crowd of strangers all of whom I wanted get to know. (FYI: that was at Rancho in Mexico with B & L.) I wish there was time for an extensive conversation with everyone here.

The presentations are excellent. Unfortunately, with concurrent sessions, one can't attend them all. Okay, that's a little complaint. Another is that the schedule makes for a very long day. (Does it count as whining if the complaint is too much of a good thing?)

... And then there is the palace.

The meeting is at a re-purposed palace. And I mean palace. In many senses, it is too opulent for me to feel should be here as I begin an exchange scholar. However, attendees who have been working here for months are enjoying every the luxury, and they deserve it. Me, not so much.

Tonight dinner was served on the lawn with a dramatic view of the palace and a Hindustani vocal concert by one of the conference participants, Guy Beck (from Tulane).


C has been enjoying herself. There are several other children, though all are younger. One boy is 12 and they have been leading the younger ones in outdoor play, including lots of time in the hotel's elegant pool. One little girl in particular is enamored of C and, as her father put it, "she is in love." It was so sweet seeing this little girl following C around this evening. When we sat down for dinner, she ran up and perched on C's lap.

Internet has been on and off the here, so I will not try to upload pics right now. However, here are some that C took yesterday of the palace (plus one I took - guess which).

4 comments:

Steve Ford said...

I miss both of you!!! I love that C had a little shadow - I hope she wasn't too annoyed. (I suspect not.)

I don't know if I could handle a place that fancy.

deborah said...

So you made it to the white city! And to the posh hotel, when I was in Udaipur we could only afford the government hostel, but we gazed across the water at the palace thinking how nice it must be to stay there!

Sounds like you're very busy. Tell that husband of yours that he must phone us while in London!

Mags said...

Heh, I have to tell you, I saw the picture of Celia working on her laptop in bed, and I thought, oh, nice that Celia took a picture of Margie.

Clunk!

Took me a good five minutes to realize it wasn't you. But it really is UNCANNY how much she looks like you at that age.

Margery Gootnick said...

Margaret: I ama so pleased that you included me on your blog. I know how you struggled to get the trip together and you deserve all of the joy and excitement. What an experience for Celia. I will be following you for your whole stay....margery Gootnick