Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Back in Illinois

Wonderful, and always too short, stay in NYC. Easy trip back to Illinois. We're fine and will continue moving ahead with everything (at least parts of everything) we need to do.

Here, however, S seem to be coming down with something. He says he's not, but this Mama won't take "I'm fine" for an answer. Of course he's fine. He's fine and has a cold. And that's not fine. Right?

Jack (dog) is having trouble also. We're not sure what is up, but he's not right. I've been poking him and checking him all evening, but he won't tell me what's up. My first (dog) love, Tally, always got very weird before I traveled. Sometimes even acting ill. Best case scenario: Jack is sensing that things are about to be very different around here. Still, I think Steve or I will take him to the vet... no problem, since we all have so much free time.

On the India front, Fulbright sent C's medical clearance. She's okay-ed for travel, but they say I still have to have her G6PD blood test (malaria med tolerance). Not so! She did it before her physical. I was there. Then I looked over the document the Doc sent. Sure she had the blood test. But they omitted it from the report. One more thing for my list: Get the blood test results, send to CIES, confirm they received it, have it attached to her med clearance, follow up... And, did I mention that my clearance isn't done yet because my med forms were misplaced (in Illinois, not in DC).

I may whine about the endless chasing after paper lately, but these errors and omissions stem from those submitting the forms. The recent mistakes making me crazy are happening long before anyone official gets involved. The program folks are the ones telling me what everyone else messed up, which sort of goes against the stereotypical complaint about government bureaucracy creating problems. So far, the mistakes all occur long before any public employee gets involved.

Not to belabor the point, but... my physical form was filled out and detailed lab and other test data were attached (though it took many phone calls and trips to the office to get them sent out). And only one question on the onerously-long form was left out: Candidate has no health conditions prohibiting her from travel? Only one question missing. Unfortunately, it's the bottom line. Oh, well. I'd have been asleep by that one if I'd been responsible for completing the form.

Enough complaining. I'm going to see if I can convince S to let me do what comes naturally: worry about his sniffle. Then I'm off to bed, so today is done. That means: 17 days. (It's scary to even type such a small number.)

Last thing: better maps coming soon (read: when I get a sec).

No comments: