Friday, February 19, 2010

Holding Pattern

We are in a human holding pattern. Med clearance hasn't come through, though it may tomorrow. If so, we're off. Otherwise, Tuesday is our next scheduled departure date. Failing that, the following Monday. C's preference is for Saturday, as planned. Until this evening, I'd have said the same.

[If you're curious about the specific departure dates, it has to do with schedules of those we meet in Delhi, University closure dates in Santiniketan, and fitting jet-lag and travel from Delhi to Kolkata among these.]

Never being one skilled at good-bye, I'm worse than ever this time through. As we near deadline, I try to say meaningful things, to reassure those we're leaving - and more importantly, to comfort myself.  I just don't know how to do this. Thus, a little extra time takes some of the pressure off. But it also adds a little in that, in some cases, I may be doing the good-bye thing twice (and equally poorly, or even worse the second time).

So, we will be okay regardless of when we leave. School/College schedules are the only real problem areas. The later we depart, the more complex they become.  On the plus side, a little more prep time would ease some of my stress. A little more good-bye time means more time with friends and family (and extra practice saying, "so long.")

And I might really finish the taxes!

Or, we'll leave on schedule and none of this extra bother about scheduling will mean more than a bit of additional hassle, some extra whining, and another (rather tedious) story.

No matter when we leave, I miss you all already. [And Liz, thanks for reading. It makes me feel more confident about staying connected.]

No comments: