Saturday, February 13, 2010

Countdown: 7 days

Thanks to everyone for all your good wishes. And sincere apologies to all those to whom I haven't yet written or called back.

There is too much to do in such a short time. I believe I mentioned that earlier.

Minutia: Insurance has become more complicated than I had hoped. The flood we had last fall did away with a lot of documentation of little details (exactly when and for how much I bought each piece of equipment). I found most, but not all the requested paperwork. The up side, it helped me organize some of the tax materials for this year. (Yah, that's one of the things I have to do in the next week.)

Today I was reading about Sundarbans National Park. (I should have been doing correspondence, calls, taxes, paperwork, etc. But an occasional break is okay, isn't it?)  Professor Debburman was the first to suggest it as not only a great place to see, but as an educational experience for C. Among other things, it's a UN World Heritage site. One of the most striking things I saw was this photo.
 
About the photograph: This satellite image shows the forest in the protected area. 
The Sundarbans appears deep green, surrounded to the north by a landscape of 
agricultural lands, which appear lighter green, towns, which appear tan, and streams,
which are blue. Credit: NASA image created by Jesse Allen, Earth Observatory, 
using data obtained from the University of Maryland’s Global Land Cover Facility.

Unfortunately, like so many important environments, the Sundarbans are at risk from industry, fishing, deforestation (in the mountains), subsidence, and climate change. Plus the Asian tsunami tragedy did damage here also.  Fortunately, a lot of people working on the challenge.

No comments: