Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Countdown: 10 days

Slight exaggeration due to this tiny blizzard here. No kidding about the blizzard, at least according to the radio, but not really huge. Still, it's bad enough that after driving a few miles, I thought it best to stay inside and wait it out for at least 24 hours. Icy, dark yet quite pretty, and happily nothing pressing us to venture outside. (Though Steve is still in NY, perhaps heading home in the storm.)

The children's schools canceled today's activities. Tomorrow is late start for both middle and high school. Oddly, I - the Mom - wish for a snow day off, though I don't have to go to school anyway.  I enjoy the idea of puttering about with all the whole family. Sure, I have an enormous amount of stuff to do, but how nice to have one little snow day before we head off.

Weather Underground predicts snow and below-freezing until Sunday, but nothing more exciting, suggesting local news may have exaggerated again. Never having been a journalist, I can giggle at the phenomenon of over-blowing newsy things. I have empathy enough, though, to respect excitement over weather. (Certain other things over-blown require greater scrutiny, even criticism. Weather, though, gets no argument from me.)

News from India is another thing altogether.  NPR had a story on All Things Considered tonight for which I interrupted our household noise, hoping to get everyone to listen. Didn't really work, but inspired a discussion about the importance of a global understanding for business students. Both N & S are thinking about business education these days. It's early days, and I would like them to set their sights a little higher, but if they do peruse business, India is the place to be, eh? [Sorry, I can't find the link to the story.]

Uh, oh. I have to back up: Trying to link All Things Considered tonight, I found that this storm is more exciting than I'd expected. [Or so it seems...?] As I said, I can't blame real media that rely on viewers for support to get a bit over excited by weather, but I can't find any one who's not reacting to today's snow.

So, I will take it as a sign and "hunker down" and enjoy a last snow storm... for a while.

For those wondering: Steve did make to back to Chicago safely.  Otherwise, I would not be comfortably chatting about the weather - or anything else.

No comments: